Federal College Work-Study

New York Institute of Technology participates in the federally sponsored Federal College Work-Study Program (FCWS). This program provides part-time jobs to students with financial need while enrolled at the university. A Federal Work Study job is different from other jobs for the following two reasons:

  1. The hours are flexible to ensure that students have enough time to study, and
  2. When students apply for financial aid for the following year, the money the student earned through this program is excluded in the federal calculation determining the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) amount used to determine financial need.

Students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible in their application process and indicate a desire to participate in the Federal College Work Study Program on the FAFSA application. The Office of Financial Aid will determine a student's eligibility based on demonstrated financial need and availability of federal funds.

If a student is eligible and would like to participate in the Federal College Work-Study Program, they must accept the offer of assistance via their online Student Service HUB self-service portal. If a student fails to contact the Office of Student Employment by the first week in October for the fall semester, or the first week in February for the spring semester, there is a risk that the college work-study offer may be canceled. Funds are limited and there is usually a waiting list of students who would like to obtain positions. Jobs are available both on and off campus and could include community service work. Once students are assigned a job, they will receive a paycheck for the hours they've worked. If a student does not work enough hours, they may not earn all of the funds that have been offered.

Please be aware that the amount of Federal College Work Study indicated on the Financial Assistance Plan is not deducted from the student's tuition bill, but rather reflects the amount of money available for the student to earn under the program. It is the student's responsibility to obtain a job through the Office of Student Employment. Renewal is dependent upon continued demonstration of financial need, availability of federal funds, and maintenance of the minimum academic standards established by New York Institute of Technology. Students are required to file the FAFSA and indicate a desire to participate each year for continued determination of eligibility.

If you have been offered Federal Work Study (FWS) for the 2024–2025 academic year, and have accepted your FWS offer, the next step is to find a part-time job on or off campus.

  1. Log into Handshake.
    • If you have never logged in before, your username is your university email address (ex: bjones@nyit.edu) and your password is your seven-digit student ID number. These can be changed once you've logged in.
  2. Click on the "Job Search" button on the menu bar located at the top of the webpage. Under position type, select the type of job you would like to apply for. If you are unsure, you can select both options and search for a job that interests you:
    • FWS-On Campus: This job would be located in a department on the Long Island or New York City campus.
    • FWS-CSI (Community Service Internship): This job would be located at a nonprofit organization and would give you the opportunity to work in your field of interest.
  3. Once you find a job that interests you, click on the job to view more specifics. Take a look at the job description to see what things you may be asked to do at the job. Be sure to look at the hours per week and qualifications to make sure you meet the requirements.
  4. If you meet the job qualifications, and would like to apply for that position, contact the supervisor listed in the "Applicant Instructions" section to set up an interview time. The Applicant Instructions section will also list what you may be required to submit, such as a cover letter and/or resume.
  5. After you have applied, you will be contacted if you were selected for an interview. If you are offered the job, your next step is to fill out Student Employment Paperwork before starting work. This paperwork can be downloaded or picked up from the Office of Student Employment. All forms MUST be completed by the student and signed by your supervisor.
  6. Bring your completed, signed forms to the Office of Student Employment, along with the proper ID's listed on the I-9, before you start working.
  7. Once your paperwork is completed, submitted, and approved, you may start working!

    • Your paperwork will be processed and you will receive an email within a few days with instructions on how to complete timesheets. You will gain access to your timesheets a few days after receiving this email.

During the school year, you are able to work up to 20 hours per week. During school breaks and summer, you are able to work up to 35 hours per week. You will be eligible to work from July 1, 2024 – June 30, 2025. Once you have earned all the money you have been offered, you must stop working.