Two students sitting with laptop

Advanced Certificate in Bilingual School Counseling

About the Certificate

The post-master’s Advanced Certificate in Bilingual School Counseling is for school counselors who wish to enhance their ability to work with diverse student populations.

Our program will help you:

  • Learn methods of providing comprehensive bilingual school counseling services to children, adolescents, and their families
  • Translate and understand the cultural background of the bilingual and ENL populations in your school
  • Bridge the gap between home life and the world of school
  • Advocate for students whose primary language is not English
  • Work towards the prevention and eradication of racism, sexism, classism, etc.

This program is conveniently designed for busy professionals:

  • Earn your Advanced Certificate part-time in one year or less
  • Save time with our blended format that combines classroom (some evenings and Saturdays) with online coursework
  • Take advantage of discounted tuition that is competitive with public colleges and universities

What the Certificate Offers

  • A 15-credit experience focused on theory and practice
  • Convenient Long Island or New York City campus locations
  • Integrated field work that links theory with practice
  • Opportunities to develop important technological skills
  • Cutting-edge content in student behavior, school violence prevention, cultural contexts, and working with special needs student populations

How to Apply

Candidates can begin the certificate in the fall, spring, or summer semester. The first step in the application process is to apply online. Next, you must send official transcripts from all of your previous undergraduate and graduate studies to the Office of Admissions.

Office of Admissions
New York Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 8000
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000

Please note that your application will not be reviewed until we have all of the necessary documents.

There is no application deadline; however, ordering transcripts can take several weeks, and it is important to make sure you apply with enough time for all of your documents to be received, your application to be reviewed, and if admitted, for you to register before the semester begins, so please plan accordingly.

Back to Top

Admission Requirements

  • Applicants must have earned a master's degree in counseling or school counseling from a New York State registered program or CACREP accredited program AND hold provisional/initial NYS school counselor certification or its equivalent from another state.
  • The applicant's graduate transcript in counseling must reflect coursework in professional issues and ethics, social and cultural diversity, human growth and development, career development, counseling and helping relationships, and group work.
  • Interview: All applicants will meet with a School Counseling department representative to assess both motivation and minimum language proficiency as passing the NYSED Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) is a requirement for the conferring of the Bilingual Education Extension by NYSED. Candidates may also submit, as part of the interview process, coursework that confirms formal language acquisition study. Admission to the Bilingual Extension does not require passing the BEA prior to enrollment; candidates will be encouraged to take the BEA as soon as possible.
  • Two Reference Forms (waived for New York Tech School Counseling Program Alum): From an employer (including a school supervisor), recent professor, or other professional who can attest to the candidate's ability to succeed in a profession which requires leadership, social justice advocacy skills, sensitivity to working with diverse student populations and their families, and a strong ability to collaborate.

Application Materials

  • Completed application
  • $50 nonrefundable application fee
  • Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
  • Copy of college diploma or proof of degree
  • Copies of teaching certificates you currently hold if you are seeking New York State certification
  • Official GRE scores, if required (GRE Code: 2561)
  • International student requirements: English proficiency, I-20, and transcript evaluation

Special Note
New York education law now permits nonresident aliens to qualify for an initial license. Individuals with U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status may qualify for a permanent or professional New York State Teaching Certificate.

Read more at NYSED